Saturday 7 August 2010

Love and Cynicism

Love, I think everyone will agree, is a strange beast.

It's a topic that has been written about thousands of times by thousands of authors. Shakespeare in particular has a wealth of interpretations and depictions throughout his plays, and it is on his work that I shall particularly focus my question; that is, what is a good love story?

The classic, of course, is 'Romeo and Juliet'. As love stories go, it's pretty hardcore; love in a "I don't want to live without you" kind of way. However...

I have to stand by the opinion that I came to when I first read the, about eight years ago. 'Romeo and Juliet' is a tragic story, yes. But it's also a merciless piss-take of the Italians. I simply don't find it real. Far too much grand, flowery poetic prose and rash, silly actions. Perhaps I'm being unfair, and I'm certainly in a minority, but I simply don't find 'Romeo and Juliet' all that moving. I can't relate to it. I'm sure that the emotions felt by the two characters are real, they are just expressed in a way that implies to me that it won't last.

"So if R&J leaves you cold, Fen, what doesn't?" I hear you cry thanks to a burst of schizophrenia.

'Henry V' is not exactly a romantic play. It's a story about the mighty warrior king who absolutely hammered the French and actually made some rare gains during the Hundred Years War. But when I saw it, Henry's proposal to the French princess did touch me. His speech was awkward, but earnest and impassioned, and that felt real. I certainly didn't feel the urge (or ability) to spout poetry at will during my last relationship. The cynic could point out that Henry's proposal was political, not emotional. It was simply a diplomatic move, nothing more.

Well, I liked it anyway.

Then, right at the other end of the spectrum, we have the charming tale of 'Measure for Measure'.

'Measure for Measure' is brutal. The central plot point revolves around the 'incorruptable' judge Angelo's lust and blackmail of a nun, Isabella. The only time love of any kind particularly plays an important role is in the case of Mariana, Angelo's ex-fiance who still holds feelings for him, and has become a heartbroken recluse since he dumped her. Even the loving couple of Claudio and Juliet have a relationship that is more indicative of lust than love; the first time we meet Claudio is at his trial for 'sexual immorality', for getting Juliet pregnant before their marriage.

Ok, the last bit is going a little far. They do have feelings for each other. They simply aren't particularly focused on by the play.

I can't help thinking that Shakespeare had gone through a bad patch in his love life when he was writing this, as even by my standards, 'Measure for Measure' is brutally cynical, right up to the resolution. Angelo, who has been tricked into sleeping with Mariana, is made to marry her. Another character is forced to marry a prostitute. And, with absolutely no warning, the character of the Duke, who has been sneaking around in disguise, orchestrating things and working around Angelo's mistakes, proposes to Isabella.

Those are the very last lines of the play. With little warning, he proposes to her. Almost complete non sequitur from the rest of the speech.

And, of course, because Shakespeare gives no (or almost no) stage directions, we have no idea what happens next. While I was studying the play, I remember hearing about a production where Isabella simply walked out in response. The critics found this rather bleak, so the actress was asked to take the Duke's hand instead in one performance. When it came to it, she felt that she couldn't in good faith to the role do so, and instead just walked off again.

So let's recap. Claudio and Juliet get happily married, having already ensured that they'll be having a child. Angelo is forced to marry a woman who he dumped, who still loves him, because he was tricked into thinking that he'd raped a nun. And the Duke randomly proposes to said nun, after orchestrating her escape and tricking of Angelo.

That's not a good love story. That's a cynical mess.

Great play, though.

In any case, I trust that you will take some thoughts from today's burble...

So until tomorrow... the music is outside.

PS: In case people haven't figured it out, these little snippets are song lyrics. Bonus points to people who spot the sources.

No comments:

Post a Comment